Author Topic: 9-year old drummer  (Read 1142 times)

elderinya

• View Profile
9-year old drummer
« on: July 20, 2006, 11:09:45 PM »
I got my 9-year old a DDrum drum set for his birthday and want him to learn the right way to play them. Is there a drum instructor in Fayetteville that might be available or is there a dvd system that might be useful?

Stuporous Funker

• View Profile
9-year old drummer
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 11:00:18 PM »
There are TONS of training DVDs. Where to begin is up to you. Try Musicians Friend catalog (online) , pick a title, then find it cheaper on eBay.

Dutchaday

• View Profile
9-year old drummer
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 11:16:43 AM »
Just get him on there and get his cordination up.  Practice makes perfect, the more you play the better you get.

NowhereMan

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/thirdatlas
9-year old drummer
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 04:29:46 PM »
It shouldn\'t be too hard to find someone to show him the beginning stuff. It just a matter of him wanting to learn things that kids find boring. Usually kids (myself included) just wanna ROCK and a teacher will give them snare lessons to begin with and that is really dull. It wasn\'t until I was older that I really wished I went back and learned stuff correctly. I learned in the garage and am self taught, and now when I see someone who was taught "correctly" I can see the areas I missed, and now if I go back I have to undo alot of things.

If he gets bit by the drumbug, he should learn to "play" fine, it is just how most drummers learn, but if he is willing to take lessons and learn properly, he will benifit in the long run. Just keep in mind that kids attention spans are no more than a half hour at most, so don\'t let a teacher tell you that you need to pay for an hour, because chances are, he won\'t be able to hang that long.

Dutchaday

• View Profile
9-year old drummer
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 11:35:49 PM »
Very well said, just rock it out and have fun..

dickhodgin

• View Profile
9-year old drummer
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 09:03:31 PM »
i definitely recomend the KENNY ARONOFF dvd series.....