Author Topic: 2007-08 NBA Season  (Read 5643 times)

Lightforce 71

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
2007-08 NBA Season
« on: November 16, 2007, 03:34:37 AM »
*Resurrected Thread from November 2007*

Any other NBA fans?

I\'m so hyped right now.  As a lifelong fan of the Boston Celtics, I\'ve waited since 1986 for them to win another NBA Championship.  I became a fan in the 1981-82 season, long before NC ever had a pro team with the Hornets.  I\'ve watched the Celtics stagnate as one of the league\'s most disappointing teams of the last decade and a half.  Not only that, but I\'ve watched as tragedy really took away some great talent from their team.  After winning their last title in \'86, they drafted what I considered the greatest college player at that time, Maryland\'s Len Bias.  He was the future of the Celtics (or was supposed to have been).  I remember watching the game on TV the night that Bias completely destroyed the 25-1, #1-ranked UNC Tar Heels in handing them their first loss ever at the Dean Dome.  Bias scored 35 points that night on February 20, 1986.  Does anyone remember that reverse slam?  At 15 years of age, it was the best single game performance that I\'d ever seen by a college player and still probably ranks in the Top 5 even 20+ years later.  I even found a quote by Maryland coach Lefty Driesell about Len Bias that night..."I\'ve seen guys score 50, but I\'ve never seen anyone do what he did tonight!"  To put this in perspective, Bias arguably could have been better than Jordan had his life not ended so soon.  He was bigger and stronger, a better shooter and rebounder.  Although, not as good a defender as Jordan, but unfortunately, it\'ll always rank as one of the biggest "What if\'s" in sports.  Plus, Bias would have came in on a championship team that would have aided in his development and growth as a player.  The \'86 Celtics were the greatest individual team I ever saw, and they had 4 players who would later be inducted into the Hall Of Fame (Larry Bird, Robert Parish, Kevin McHale, Bill Walton).  Remember Jordan had to suffer through a few seasons with a terrible Chicago team with little supporting talent.  Jordan was only a scorer in his first 2-3 seasons before becoming a complete player later on.  Still again, that\'s a "What if" on Bias\' potential of what could have been.  It\'s all speculation in the end.  

Anyway, Larry Bird, Kevin McHale and Robert Parish (the greatest frontline in NBA history) eventually became old or injured and just retired.  Bird in \'92, McHale in \'93 and Parish a little later after he departed from the Celtics.  Reggie Lewis at the turn of the 90\'s was Boston\'s next hope.  He was one of the NBA\'s best players at the time and had played roughly 5 seasons with Boston until tragedy struck one off-season.  Unfortunately, Lewis died in a pickup game in the summer of \'93 at the young age of 27.  I still have an autographed basketball card of his that I got from another fan one night at a Charlotte Hornets game in the \'92-\'93 season (months before Lewis\' death).  I went to see 2 Celtics games in Charlotte that season.  But Lewis\' death proved to be the beginning of some bad times in "Beantown."  

Let me ramble for a moment from a fan\'s perspective...lol  During the 2 Celtics games that I attended in Charlotte in the 1992-93 season, I actually got Jerry Sichting to autograph his 1986 Fleer NBA card.  "Who is Jerry Sichting" one may ask?  Sichting was a key bench player on the Celtics championship team of 1986.  My friend Kevin and I were standing courtside as the players were practicing before the game.  Lots of kids stand there in hopes of getting players to autograph stuff.  Some older folks did, too (like us).  I called out to Sichting (who was a Celtics assistant at the time), and he came over to me.  I told Sichting that I was a fan of his and that the \'86 team was the best single-season team that the NBA ever saw.  He was so cool and was probably surprised that anyone would remember him since he was a bench player.  Here\'s an interesting fact...I actually saw the \'86 Eastern Conference first-round series, Game #2, between the Celtics and Chicago Bulls on TV the day it happened.  I had it on VHS for many years afterwards (I used to tape Celtics games on VHS back then).  That Game #2 was the game that Michael Jordan scored 63 points at Boston Garden (April \'86).  It went into double-overtime before the Celtics pulled it out, 135-131 (and eventually swept the Bulls in 3 games).  It was Jerry Sichting who hit the game-winning shot to put Boston up 133-131 at the end!  I also got Chris Ford (the Celtics coach in \'93) to autograph a basketball card.  It\'s also interesting to note that Chris Ford hit the first-ever 3-point shot in NBA history in 1979!!  How\'s that for historic?  One more...I also got Ed Pinckney to autograph a card for me after the game at the Celtics team bus.  Ed Pinckney!!!  Remember, he was on the "cinderella" Villanova Wildcats team that stunned the Georgetown Hoyas in the 1985 NCAA Championship game!!  The \'85 Villanova team also knocked the UNC Tar Heels out of the tourny that year!!  I should have remembered to thank Pinckney just for that...lol  I still have these autographs to this day!  

After Lewis died, Boston pretty much struggled through the rest of the 90\'s, even failing to reach .500 for 8 straight years.  They revived a little at the beginning of the 2000\'s, even reaching the Eastern Conference Finals against the New Jersey Nets in 2002 before losing.  Fortunately, I happened to watch Game 3 as the Celtics recorded the biggest comeback in NBA playoff history that day.  They overcame a 26-point deficit late in the 2nd half and won 94-90.  They outscored the Nets by 25 points in the 4th period alone!!  Wow, can you believe that?  Still, it was only a pipe-dream for me, knowing that if they were to beat the Nets and reach the Finals, that they would still have to play the Lakers who were gunning for their 3rd-consecutive NBA title.  The Nets eventually beat the Celtics in 6 games and went on to lose to the Lakers.  No one could stop the Lakers that year.  It was during Shaq and Kobe\'s 3-year reign atop the NBA.  The Celtics really needed some talent, some names, a real inside threat before they could ever compete with the NBA\'s best again.  

So what happens this year?  FINALLY!!!  Boston GM, and former standout guard for the team, Danny Ainge acquires Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen to add to Boston\'s only star player Paul Pierce.  In these 3 guys, the Celtics now have the recipe for an NBA title.  What I want to point out early on this year is something that I ragged on last year.  I mentioned many times about how weak the Eastern Conference was and that the Lebron-led Cavaliers wouldn\'t have made it to the Finals last year if they had been in the Western Conference.  In fact, they would probably have been beaten in the opening round.  The Western Conference is just so much stronger.  And what about this year?  Well, it\'s basically still the same.  The Celtics may possibly be the best team in the NBA this year, but the East is yet again a subpar conference.  Each conference has 15 teams (30 total NBA teams) and each conference has 3 divisions with 5 teams in each division.  At least 2 teams with losing records will probably make the playoffs in the Eastern Conference, while 1 team (Denver Nuggest) that perhaps wins 60% of their games will probably not even qualify in the West.  The West has been a far better conference than the East for several years now.    

The East looks like it may be Boston and Detroit battling it out for supremacy.  Cleveland, by virtue of Lebron James, will overachieve again this year and make the playoffs.  The Cavaliers will probably advance to the 2nd round, but will likely have to face the Celtics when they get there.  The Western Conference is unbelievable!!  Approximately 5 games separate the 8 potential playoff teams in the standings.  

[COLOR="Green"]GO CELTICS!!![/COLOR]

« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 02:07:57 AM by Lightforce 71 »

Lightforce 71

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
2007-08 NBA Season
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 02:51:05 AM »
WOW!!  I wanted to resurrect this thread leading into the final few weeks of the NBA\'s regular-season.  I know that it\'s NCAA time, but I just wanted to touch on a few things, even though there probably aren\'t many fans of the NBA.

Unbelievable!!  Monday night the Boston Celtics overcame a 22-point deficit on the road in San Antonio and beat the defending NBA-champion Spurs, 93-91!!  My goodness!!  Paul Pierce scored 22 and Kevin Garnett added 21.  Ray Allen didn\'t even play!!  Recently acquired reserve guard Sam Cassell (former Florida State standout in the early 90\'s) scored 17 and hit some clutch shots at the end of the game.  Remember when the ACC added FSU in \'91 and they opened the conference schedule by winning at the Dean Dome in their first game? lol  They swept UNC that year, and it was Cassell who made the "controversial" comment referring to the UNC alumni/fans as the "wine and cheese" crowd...lol  Remember that, Glen?  Sorry to stir up bad memories...lol  Perhaps Cassell was just using friendly teasing, no?  Anyway, I am so hyped about Boston this year.  You can read about some of my thoughts in my original post from November (up above).  

The Boston Celtics have had the NBA\'s best record all year, and are currently 53-13 (they won 12 of the last 13).  The Celtics have swept the season series this year against both San Antonio and the L.A. Lakers (2 teams that are the best bets to win the Western Conference).  The Celtics are on a 3-game Texas roadtrip against the West\'s elite teams (SA, Houston and Dallas).  Tonight (Tuesday), following the 22-pt comeback at SA, Boston will attempt to break the Houston Rockets\' 22-game winning streak.  This streak is the 2nd-longest in NBA history (behind the Lakers 33-game streak of \'71).  This streak that Houston has put together is really puzzling me.  First, before the streak began Houston were 24-20 and in 10th place in the mighty-tough Western Conference.  24-20 isn\'t exactly "great."  Since then they\'ve won 22 straight games to go 46-20!!  Plus, the last 9 wins have come since Yao Ming\'s season-ending injury a couple weeks ago!  Even though Houston doesn\'t strike me as a team that could really get past the Western Semifinals come playoff time, their winning streak is still pretty amazing!  The NBA of today is different from the NBA that I grew to love 20 years ago.  Today, even the good teams seem to blow meaningless games to the worst teams here and there during the year.  The NBA isn\'t as consistent as it was when the Celtics, Lakers, Sixers and Bucks were ruling the league in the 80\'s.  Back then the good teams usually always won the games against the inferior teams in the league.  So that makes Houston\'s 22-game winning streak in "today\'s NBA" that much more amazing.  At some point you\'d think that the Rockets would have just slipped up and dropped a game to some mediocre or sub-par team, but they haven\'t.  While their streak has been fairly easy with the exception of a handful of games, it is still nonetheless astonishing to say the least.  Just this past Sunday, I thought the L.A. Lakers would end the winning streak at 21, but Kobe Bryant had a really bad game.  I\'m not a Lakers fan at all, but wouldn\'t have minded a bit if they would have ended the streak.  I don\'t dislike Houston, either, but I think it\'s time for the streak to end.  Boston has already beaten Houston (97-93) earlier this year in Boston, and now they have a chance to sweep the series tonight in Houston.  I think if any team should end the Rockets\' streak, it should be Boston (whose \'82 team once held the 4th-longest winning streak at 18 games)!!  Boston has also beaten the defending Eastern champion Detroit Pistons 2 times out of 3 this year.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 03:46:12 AM by Lightforce 71 »

Webmaster

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eastwave.com
2007-08 NBA Season
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 09:49:17 AM »

Lightforce 71

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
2007-08 NBA Season
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 10:23:01 AM »
lol...Foul!!  I call FOUL!!  Don\'t worry, I\'ll use the "reverse psychology" thing at some point during the NCAA\'s I\'m sure.  Especially if things don\'t go my way in the first few rounds.  Did you notice that I made a statement about a #16 seed NEVER beating a #1 seed?  Not that I\'m implying anything there...:p

Lightforce 71

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
2007-08 NBA Season
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 12:59:25 AM »
WOW!!  The Boston Celtics snapped the Houston Rockets\' 22-game winning streak by blowing them out in Houston, 94-74!!  Kevin Garnett scored 22 and Paul Pierce added 20.  The Celtics and Rockets were tied at 40-40 at halftime, but Boston then busted the game open in the 2nd half by getting the lead up near 30 before finally closing it out at the 20-pt margin.

This comes just 1 night after Boston\'s 22-pt comeback win in San Antonio.  This is pretty amazing!

Yocum

• More cats
    • View Profile
2007-08 NBA Season
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 11:09:21 AM »
George I think it\'s totally awesome that you love the NBA.
You\'re not wrong Walter, you\'re just an asshole.

Lightforce 71

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
2007-08 NBA Season
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 11:58:59 AM »
Why, thank you, Yocum.  Were you using sarcasm? :)

Lightforce 71

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
2007-08 NBA Season
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 11:02:55 PM »
Man, basketball is the craziest sport sometimes.  After winning 22 consecutive games (2nd longest streak in NBA history), the Houston Rockets have now lost 2 straight games in 2 nights (both losses by at least 20 points)!

Tuesday...Boston Celtics 94  Houston Rockets 74
Wednesday...New Orleans Hornets 90  Houston Rockets 69

--------------------

Goooood Night!!!!!!!!  The Miami Heat lost by 42 points tonight to the Toronto Raptors, 96-54!  Can you believe that??  Miami only scored 54 points in an NBA game. :confused:   I\'ve lamented for a long time that the NBA of the last decade more resembles college ball than it does the fast-breaking, high-scoring days of old.  The NBA plays 48 minute games, college 40.  Look at what Miami scored per 12-minute period...

1st...16
2nd...10
3rd...19
4th...9

UNC and Duke neither one scored as few as 54 points in a game this year!

---------------------------

Yeah, I know, this is all irrelevant at the moment. :)

gamesmstr

• Bind Vocals - Last Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bindonline.com
2007-08 NBA Season
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 08:50:50 AM »
Quote from: Lightforce 71;89457
Why, thank you, Yocum. Were you using sarcasm? :)

When isn\'t he?

Lightforce 71

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
2007-08 NBA Season
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 08:49:18 PM »
OK, I had been meaning to post every few days as the NBA playoffs progress.  Unfortunately, I don\'t have as much time these days.  I\'m taking a few minutes tonight, though.

Alright...First, I am totally disappointed in how the BOSTON CELTICS are dropping all these games to these weaker, "barely-make-the-playoff-teams" like ATLANTA and CLEVELAND.  The CELTS are 6-0 at home (before tonight\'s game) and 0-5 on the road.  The CELTS posted the NBA\'s best road record during the regular-season, but have looked like trash since the playoffs began.  16 teams made the playoffs...BOSTON was #1, ATLANTA was #16.  My question...how does the worst playoff team (8 games under .500) push the best team to 7 games?  Inexcusable!

Then, they\'re up 2-0 to CLEVELAND (a team they should have also swept) and now have dropped 2 straight on the road to enter tonight\'s game even at 2-2.  Championship teams do not play like this and BOSTON better get their act together FAST!!!  I\'ve heard some folks saying that as long as they win at home, it doesn\'t matter (since they have homecourt all the way through the playoffs).  Problem is...what happens if BOSTON slips up and chokes a home game away (perhaps tonight)?  Can BOSTON dig their way out of a hole and win on the road if they haven\'t even won yet on the road?  I love BOSTON, but this is (again) inexcusable!  Plus, Lebron has played like trash in the 4 games thus far.  This series should have been over (4-0) a couple of nights ago.

----------------------------

In other news...

I was glad to see UTAH tie the series up with the L.A. LAKERS at 2-2.  I can\'t stand the LAKERS.  Plus, former DUKE star Carlos Boozer plays for the JAZZ.  GO JAZZ!!!

I was also glad to see SAN ANTONIO tie the series up with the HORNETS (until the HORNETS went back up after last night\'s win, 3-2).  I think the SPURS will send it to 7 after winning game #6 at home.  GO SPURS!!

DETROIT?  Pffft...what a cake-walk they\'ve had so far.  DETROIT isn\'t even that good.  But when you play subpar teams in the playoffs you should win easily (BOSTON...hear that?) and DETROIT has done that so far.  DETROIT gets several days off before having to begin the Eastern Conference Finals against the CELTS or CAVS.  DETROIT has been to 6 straight Eastern Finals now (big deal...the East has been the weaker of the 2 conferences for years).  Plus, the PISTONS have won 1 NBA title in those 6 years (the ATLANTA BRAVES of the NBA).

Of the 3 Eastern teams left (BOSTON, CLEVELAND, DETROIT), the CELTICS are the only team that could win the Finals against a Western team.  

I hope it\'s BOSTON vs. DETROIT in the East and UTAH vs. SAN ANTONIO in the West.

----------------------------------------

I was glad to hear that the DALLAS MAVERICKS hired Rick Carlisle as their new head coach!  I hope he can get DALLAS over the hump now.

I like Mike D\'Antoni, but I don\'t think he\'s a good fit with the hapless KNICKS.  I\'m kind of sad to see him go there because he\'ll probably be out of a job in a season or two.  Like Glen suggested before, NY needs to totally scrap the whole team and rebuild from scratch.  D\'Antoni has a lot on his hands.

---------------------------

Anyone else interested in the NBA playoffs?

Webmaster

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eastwave.com
2007-08 NBA Season
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 08:07:37 AM »
I will be looking forward to my Rasheed Wallace led Pistons to be ending your Celtics championship dreams this week.  Lebron came close, but just couldn\'t pull off the upset in the last minutes of game 7 yesterday.

Although I am sure that the NBA commissioner is jumping for joy over the possibility of a Lakers/Celtics matchup for the finals.

Here is what I hope happens...

Lakers over Hornets (who I think will FINALLY take down the Spurs tonight)
Pistons over Celtics
Pistons beat the Lakers in the Finals.

If it were to end up with the Lakers against the Celtics, I would have to pull for the Lakers to see Phil Jackson get his 10th title (and this one would be his best accomplishment as it would be with a team HE built up).

I despise Boston (always have and always will), but I would love to see KG get a ring.  That is not enough to make me pull for them.   Although if the Spurs or Hornets made it and played Boston for the finals, I would have to suck up all my Boston hatred and actually pull for them to win the damn thing...   I never thought I would see a day when pulling for the Boston Celtics to win the NBA championship is an actual possiblity.

As long as the Spurs or the Hornets don\'t win, I will be happy though.
The games are starting to get really good though.

Lightforce 71

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
2007-08 NBA Season
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 09:50:34 PM »
Quote from: Webmaster;91223
I will be looking forward to my Rasheed Wallace led Pistons to be ending your Celtics championship dreams this week.  Lebron came close, but just couldn\'t pull off the upset in the last minutes of game 7 yesterday.

Good gracious!!  What is BOSTON\'s problem, already??  They\'ve been pushed to the limit in both series so far.  Like I said, this is NOT how a championship team plays.  They need to find themselves...FAST!!  They should have swept ATLANTA 4-0.  I gave them 5 games to beat CLEVELAND, but they looked like crap and had to go 7 (and liked to have thrown that one away yesterday).  I don\'t get how BOSTON could allow the CAVS to push them to 7 (This team is nowhere near as good as the great early 90\'s CAVS of Mark Price, Brad Daugherty, Craig Ehlo, Larry Nance, etc).  Lebron played awful until the last couple of games.  Going into yesterdays game #7, James was 3 turnovers away from tying Charles Barkley\'s dismal 1986 "most-turnovers-in-a-7-game-series" record at 38.  I haven\'t seen a boxscore to know if Lebron got those 3 or not.  Plus, he shot in the low 30% range for the series.  If CLEVELAND were to get a bonafide star 2nd player sidekick to Lebron they\'d be ready to compete for the Finals for real.  Unlike last year when they just lucked up by playing in the weak Eastern Conference and beating a DETROIT team that wasn\'t that good to begin with, IMO.

Here is what I hope happens...

Lakers over Hornets (who I think will FINALLY take down the Spurs tonight)
Pistons over Celtics
Pistons beat the Lakers in the Finals.

Apparently, we just can\'t get on the same page when it comes to sports, Glen.  Even though I despise the LAKERS, I think they are the team to beat right now.  I\'m not sure that BOSTON could beat them in a series (even though they swept the LAKERS 2-0 in the regular-season) considering how BOSTON has played thus far in the playoffs.  DETROIT is about where they were last year...not that great.  They could win the series, especially if they steal 1 of the first 2 in BOSTON.  I keep fearing that BOSTON will slip up at home before they even win a game on the road (if they win a road game at all).  If they go back to DETROIT tied at 1-1, the CELTS will HAVE to win a road game (either in game #3 or #4) or else they\'re toast.  Rasheed fan, are you?  Who\'d have guessed you\'d be a fan of a UNC player? lol  

I hope SA beats NO tonight.  Experience should triumph.  I just can\'t bring myself to pull for NO.  Plus, I love SA\'s "just get it done...forget the hype & highlight reels" style of play.

DETROIT can\'t beat L.A.  Neither can N.O. beat L.A.  The SPURS have the best shot of beating the LAKERS (aside from BOSTON).  Here\'s what I think will happen...

BOSTON beats DETROIT in 7.  The CELTS should logically win this series in 6, but because of their road woes, I\'ll have to go with 7.

If SA beats NO...SA beats LA in 7 (4-3)
If NO beats SA...LA beats NO in 5 (4-1)

If BOSTON meets LA...BOSTON in 7
If BOSTON meets SA...BOSTON in 6
If BOSTON meets NO...BOSTON in 6
If DETROIT meets LA...LA in 6
If DETROIT meets SA...SA in 6
If DETROIT meets NO...NO in 7

If it were to end up with the Lakers against the Celtics, I would have to pull for the Lakers to see Phil Jackson get his 10th title (and this one would be his best accomplishment as it would be with a team HE built up).

As I\'ve mentioned before, I\'m not a Jackson fan.  I enjoy some of his insights/commentary into the game, but I\'m not a fan (if that makes any sense).

I despise Boston (always have and always will), but I would love to see KG get a ring.  That is not enough to make me pull for them.   Although if the Spurs or Hornets made it and played Boston for the finals, I would have to suck up all my Boston hatred and actually pull for them to win...   I never thought I would see a day when pulling for the Boston Celtics to win the NBA championship is an actual possiblity.

Well, welcome to that day!! :p

As long as the Spurs or the Hornets don\'t win, I will be happy though.
The games are starting to get really good though.

Yeah, they are.  As much as I have always disliked the LAKERS over the years, I don\'t dislike them as much this year for some reason.  I even thought it was cool to finally see Kobe get the MVP (his first ever...go figure).  He seems to be more of a team player since Gasol came in.  Plus, Kobe is the most deadly clutch shooter of the modern generation (post-Jordan, Bird, etc.)  If it\'s LA vs. DETROIT, I hope LA sweeps (did I really just say that...YIKES).  I guess I\'m still a little irked over the PISTONS firing Rick Carlisle after back-to-back 50-32 seasons a few years ago...lol

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Green"]BOSTON CELTICS ALL THE WAY!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE]

Lightforce 71

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
2007-08 NBA Season
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 10:04:13 PM »

Without a doubt, the GREATEST frontline in NBA history!!  A trio of Hall of Famers...

Robert Parish, Larry Bird and Kevin McHale.  1986 was a long time ago...

[SIZE="7"][COLOR="Green"]THIS IS THE YEAR!!![/COLOR][/SIZE]

Lightforce 71

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
2007-08 NBA Season
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 09:47:12 PM »
OK, well, so much for the NEW ORLEANS HORNETS.  I felt that SAN ANTONIO would get them in the end, and I\'m glad.  This should be a wake-up call to BOSTON.  N.O. and S.A. split the first 6 games (each winning at home).  Once it got to Game #7 it was anybody\'s game to win and the SPURS became the first team to win a game on the road...Unfortunately for the HORNETS, it was the final game of the series.  This is almost what happened Sunday when BOSTON tried to choke the series away to CLEVELAND.  The N.O./S.A. series was so strange.  Every game was basically a blowout...5 of the 7 games were won by at least 18 points!  After NO got off to a 2-0 series lead, SA won 4 of the final 5 games to advance...

#1...NOH 101, SAS 82  (NO wins by 19 at home)
#2...NOH 102, SAS 84  (NO wins by 18 at home)
#3...SAS 110, NOH 99  (SA wins by 11 at home)
#4...SAS 100, NOH 80  (SA wins by 20 at home)
#5...NOH 101, SAS 79  (NO wins by 22 at home)
#6...SAS 99, NOH 80  (SA wins by 19 at home)
#7...SAS 91, NOH 82  (SA steals the series by 9 ON THE ROAD!!!)

The LAKERS will be tough for the SPURS to beat.  I think SA has it in them to beat LA, but it will take everything they\'ve got.  GO SPURS!!

Hopefully the NBA Finals will be...

[SIZE="7"][COLOR="Green"]CELTICS[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE="5"]vs.[/SIZE] [SIZE="7"][COLOR="Black"]SPURS[/COLOR][/SIZE]

For the record, BOSTON swept both the LAKERS and the SPURS in the regular-season...

Boston 107  LA Lakers 94 (by 13 at Boston)
Boston 110  LA Lakers 91 (by 19 at Los Angeles)
Boston 98  San Antonio 90  (by 8 at Boston)
Boston 93 San Antonio 91  (by 2 at SA)  Boston overcame a 22-point deficit to win!

Lightforce 71

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
2007-08 NBA Season
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 07:36:37 PM »
C\'mon SPURS!!  You gotta close \'em out!  How do you go from mopping the floor with the LAKERS on their own home court to completely choking the game away?  This is very un-SPURS-like.  This could make or break the series, actually.  Remember when the SUNS were up 9 in the 4th period against the SPURS in Game #1 of their first round best-of-7 series...and the SPURS, aided by a 3-pointer from Tim Duncan (his only one of the year) and a couple of OT periods, came back to win and go up 1-0?  PHOENIX never recovered from that collapse and lost the series in 5 (4-1).  The SPURS, of course, are better than the SUNS, but blowing a 20-pt lead is totally unacceptable in the playoffs.  Ironically, BOSTON overcame a 22-pt deficit to beat SAN ANTONIO in Texas earlier this year, go figure.  The SPURS are usually pretty stable when they have a double-digit lead, but I don\'t know what\'s happening to them at the moment.  In any event, this was only the first game.  The SPURS could conceivably win tomorrow night in LA and even the series headed back to SA.  

Ya know, one of my favorite moments happened in 2003 when the LAKERS were going for their 4th consecutive NBA title, but were knocked out of the playoffs by the SPURS.  It was the way they were knocked out that was SO AWESOME!!  The SPURS had the home court advantage and were up 3 games to 2 with game #6 in LA.  The LAKERS were SO expecting to tie the series up at 3-3 and go back to SA for #7...but it wasn\'t to happen.  Not only did the SPURS win the series in Los Angeles in Game #6 (4-2), but they absolutely ran the LAKERS off the court that night.  At one time the SPURS were up by 28 points in the 2nd half!!  I\'d have to go check the history pages to know the exact final score and the exact largest lead they had, but the bottom line is that the LAKERS were totally humiliated on their own court and that ended their streak of 3 straight NBA titles...YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I had that game taped for a while and watched the 2nd half a couple of times before finally recording over it.  It\'s kind of like when UNC suffers a devastating loss...I want to watch it a couple of times to re-live the fun. :p

--------------------------

OK, BOSTON is off to a good start so far with a 1-0 lead over DETROIT.  This is prior to the tip-off of Game #2.  The PISTONS had a week to rest...BOSTON had 1 day.  History seems to have been proven true...generally a long rest after winning a series isn\'t a good thing.  If BOSTON wins tonight and goes up 2-0, I think the CELTICS will also steal one of the next 2 in DETROIT and go up 3-1 before heading back to BOSTON.  That\'s my hunch...IF...they go up 2-0 tonight.

Garnett had 26 points, Pierce had 22.  Ray Allen needs to seriously find himself fast.  Allen is so much better than his last several playoff games have indicated.  If he were to heat up, and if Garnett and Pierce continue as they are, BOSTON is going to be tough for anyone to beat.  

--------------------------------

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Green"]GO BOSTON CELTICS!!!!!!!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Black"]GO SAN ANTONIO SPURS!!!!!!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE]