Author Topic: The Testing Of The Waters Is Over...  (Read 2382 times)

Webmaster

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eastwave.com
The Testing Of The Waters Is Over...
« on: June 16, 2008, 02:46:32 PM »
Lawson, Ellington & Green decided to return to UNC for 1 more year.
The Tar Heels will be the unanimous pick for the title!!!

Hansbrough will go out as the greatest Tar Heel to ever wear the uniform, and his chances of leaving UNC with a national championship just got a lot better.

This is great...   I\'m ready for basketball season to start back up!!!

Lightforce 71

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 07:28:56 PM »
*The voice of reason and/or dissension speaks* (aka Lightforce\'s view, in bold print for easy reading)

Quote from: Webmaster;92100
Lawson, Ellington & Green decided to return to UNC for 1 more year.
The Tar Heels will be the unanimous pick for the title!!!

Hmm...were they not the unanimous pick for the title this past year??  I do believe they were.  But there was this team called KANSAS that apparently didn\'t read the memo...lol  Even with those 3 returning they\'ll still get knocked out come tourny time.  Trust me on this.  Sure, they\'ll have a great regular-season record and all, and I\'m sure they\'ll have multiple "Houdini-escape-wins," but that\'s about it.  

In all actuality, those 3 are returning because they\'re just not that good (not even as good as Felton, who plays on the subpar BOBCATS).  Still, it\'s surprising though, considering that you don\'t really have to be that good to get in the NBA anymore.  It\'s not like it was 15, 20, 25 years ago when you actually HAD to be good.  But that\'s because they allow kids in the NBA these days who are not fundamentally mature/sound in their game.  College players need more than a year to truly understand the game and to make mistakes and learn from them before jumping ship to the NBA (but that\'s another argument for another time).

Hansbrough will go out as the greatest Tar Heel to ever wear the uniform, and his chances of leaving UNC with a national championship just got a lot better.

Hansbrough may very well go out as the best TAR HEEL ever.  I really can\'t argue with you there.  I also agree that his chances of winning a National Championship got a lot better, too, because most of the other top colleges lost key players to the draft.  Therefore, UNC will not have the caliber of competition in the Top 10 to challenge them for the most part.  UNC will likely be ranked #1 through the season until DUKE (likely ranked #2 or #3 in the nation in the pre-season) inevitably beats them.  Or, barring a debacle or two against some lower echelon ACC team.  But still, even with all the lofty predictions that everyone is laying on UNC, I\'m left with the great feeling of knowing that all it takes is ONE SINGLE LOSS.  Thank you KANSAS (\'08).  Thank you GEORGETOWN (\'07).  Thank you GEORGE MASON (\'06).

This is great...   I\'m ready for basketball season to start back up!!!

So am I...

Sportscaster later this year in December:  "Coming up next in sports...Top-ranked UNC is stunned by CHAMINADE in the Hawaii Classic Invitational" (or some dime-a-dozen early-season tournament like that)...lol  You can feel free to substitute other non-ranked teams in place of CHAMINADE if you like.  Examples are WEBER ST., ROANOKE TECH, LOYOLA, WINSTON-SALEM ST., etc.

LOL, sorry to be such a stick in the mud, Glen, but as always...

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Blue"]GO DUKE!!![/COLOR][/SIZE]

Webmaster

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eastwave.com
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 10:29:36 PM »
Well we didn\'t really disagree on much George...   but 2 things I would like to comment on....

UNC was not the unanimous #1 pick this past year... there were some picking UCLA...   This is pretty evident since UNC started the preseason polls off as 1 then WITHOUT losing a game, UCLA moved up to 1 for a week before they got beat (if my memory serves me right) within the next week or so...

UNC did lose in the big dance each of the previous 3 years you mention, but each year with Hansbrough they progressed farther, from the 4 year ago point that UNC took it all home with a championship...
Hansbrough Freshman Year - Sweet 16
Hansbrough Soph Year - Final 8
Hansbrough Junior Year - Final 4

Using that logic  I would say that next year\'s season would be a complete failure if the Tar Heels don\'t at least PLAY the final game of the year in the championship.

Win or lose...
1 final game for Hansbrough to get his national championship...
The media would eat it up every step of the way...

I love college basketball!!!

Lightforce 71

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 08:33:59 PM »
Yeah, I agree.  If UNC fails to win the NCAA tourny this coming year, it will be seen as a complete failure.  A "debacle," if you will...lol  I\'m all for debacles, too (well, as long as they happen to teams that I\'m NOT a fan of, ha).

I must say that I\'m totally disappointed in the outcome of these guys decisions.  Don\'t get me wrong, I\'m all for guys staying the course and finishing out their 4 years of college, but those 3 wouldn\'t have stayed for 4 years anyway.  Had the money been right, all 3 would have been gone.  I wanted to see UNC\'s framework shaken up some before next season (kind of like in \'05 when the team bailed after the championship).

I\'m sure Hansbrough will probably break several more records before it\'s over.  I\'m not sure right at the moment just which ones he\'s in the running to break, but I\'m guessing there\'s several.

Beth

• Yes I Am A Bitch!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/beth_b
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 09:12:49 AM »
yeah... this year is going to be great!!!!!!!!!!