Author Topic: How is the Metal scene in and around Charlotte  (Read 11443 times)

Buddhamanjb

• View Profile
How is the Metal scene in and around Charlotte
« on: January 27, 2010, 01:20:35 PM »
Hi everyone. I\'m going to be moving somewhere outside of Charlotte next year and I was wondering how the metal scene there is? Are there big shows there? How is the local small band scene? Lots of places for small time bands to play at?

I currently live in Rhode Island now and the metal scene in New England is very good. Sadly everything else here is terrible. Especially cost of living. I was hoping the metal scene down there was decent.  

Thanks all.

No Funeral

• Drink The Chicken\'s Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 02:58:57 PM »
It seems like Charlotte gets a lot of the big metal tours between Amos\' Southend, Tremont and that other place I saw BTBAM @ a few months ago.  I dont know many if any bands from there but Mark from BlackWatch (my old bandmate) lives out there.

The scene up there is enviable to say the least.  If i lose my job the first place im going (besides to get drunk) is back the fuck up north, probably either Bellingham MA/Woonsocket RI or the Amherst/Springfield area.  The scene around Raleigh is hit or miss.  Depends on your scene really whether your in the Denim-and-Leather Old Guard, the indie rock/post metal funny haircut scene, the baggy pants pit-fu hardcore/metalcore crowd, the southern-fried-in-gasoline rock/metal crowd, shit you\'ll even see corpse painted black metallers.  Theres a little bit of everything in the state, with pockets of metalheads of various descriptions spread out.  There\'s been ups and downs but theres a lot of room to grow, especially if your band kicks ass.

Most prominent NC acts:
Corrosion of Conformity
Confessor
Daylight Dies
Between The Buried and Me
No Funeral = No Shame

Chargrilled Dave

• A Singular Consciousness.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/avisiongrotesque
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 06:29:30 PM »
I had originally written some long winded manifesto about why the metal scene here has pretty much died over the past few years, but, I think it will suffice to say that there currently is little to no metal scene in the Charlotte area, outside of what the previous post mentioned, and unfortunately, for straight up metal bands, most of what passes for entertainment around here involves kids wearing their girlfriend\'s jeans with their hair in their eyes standing around sulking and punching the air while their friend\'s band plays breakdown after breakdown after breakdown on the stage.  My band has actually been booed and someone yelled "go back to Charlotte, faggots", at the New Brookland Tavern in Columbia, SC, because none of our songs had any breakdowns in it, and since we played solos, we were uncool, I guess.  ALthough that doesn\'t reflect as a whole on the club itself, I have seen that same mentality prevail all too often in this area as a whole.  Think about it in context, though.  NC was one of, if not the, last state on the Eastern seaboard to vote in the lottery, so what would one really expect?  I love NC, was born and raised in Charlotte, and have attended innumerable shows of all types in this city, but, it\'s depressing to see how bad the metal scene has deteriorated over the past five years or so.  I guess it\'s due to a lot of reasons, the economy, the promoters ripping bands off, etc., etc.,... I don\'t know, it could change one day soon, but, it doesn\'t show any signs of that.  Good luck when you get down here, and try posting some ads on Craigslist to find some other like minded musicians.  They\'re out there, and hey, after all, at least you\'ll have access to some of the finest barbecue anywhere in the world.  And Sun Drop.  Fucking Sun Drop...mmmm.  So much for not writing a long winded manifesto, huh?
Jive turkey motherfucker.

STUPID KLOWN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 09:32:57 PM »
I don\'t really keep up with local metal scene is Charlotte anymore but for what I do know it looks like a band called BLACK RITUAL runs it and headlines most of the local metal shows.......

http://www.myspace.com/blackritual

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 10:33:06 PM »
I have known Charlotte to be a lot of black metal and punk rock for the longest time now. And there is a lot of bands down there who would like to think they are metal bands but Nickelback doesn\'t really cut it.
Really I have only know a hand full of bands to ever get their name outside of there in the past 15 or so years. Though I believe the Black Ritual band does come out sometimes. From what I can tell they seem to be rather popular down there.
As for promoters down there; yeah I can think of a few douche bags. But in all fairness NC in a whole has a few shitty promoters or people who like to fancy  themselves as "promoters".
I went down with two Raleigh bands and it was a bust both times, I believe the promoters just did poor jobs. I know it wasn\'t the quality of the bands.
The metal shows I have seen their in the past say 5 years were all poorly attended. But I\'m not down there enough to say if there is a "scene" to come out. The Anvil show wasn\'t nearly packed.
By the way the Fillmore is a really nice place but the beer is way to costly. The staff were more like people working in a mall, you know those who really don\'t want to be there but it is their summer gig. And the price of tickets and a "venue fee" is fuckin stupid. I\'d much rather is a band at the Milestone any day.
Well folks when all is said and done Raleigh rules them all. We have the best bands, best clubs, and best and friendliest folks.

Chargrilled Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 04:16:44 PM »
Alright, let me just preface with saying that I am definitely in a "metal" band, one that sounds nothing like "Nickelback", and we\'ve played numerous venues all over the place in NC, including just about every venue in Raleigh, at least once, and in every instance, the second post on this thread has it completely right, it\'s hit or miss.  Period.  Raleigh, Charlotte, it doesn\'t matter, because we\'veplayed in front of 200 people at Volume 11, and in front of 10, at the same venue, with a lot of the same bands on both shows.  It\'s an aberration.  There\'s no one reason for the turnout, or the lack thereof.  Sure, certain things can always help, such as good promotion, which is rare in and of itself, but, when it comes down to it, if kids aren\'t going to shows, they all have different reasons.  When you choose to play metal in general, and especially, the more specialized the type of metal you play is, you\'re more or less condemning yourself to being perpetually broke, if you think you\'re going to play a million shows and get "famous".  Sometimes it takes bands longer to realize this than others.  In this day and age, shows are cool, without a doubt, and some are even profitable monetarily, or in terms of garnering your band new fans, but if you really want to stop being in the negative, as far as fiscally, then it\'s far more beneficial to stop spending money on gas to get to shows that pay 45 bucks and spend the money on a good recording (read: Jamie King) and shop it around to labels until you get one that will offer a good distribution deal WITH PROMOTION and not rape you on royalties. My band has done this successfully, as have many others, to the point where shows are no longer a necessity.  At any rate, my original post was somewhat in agreement with Heaven and Hell\'s, to the extent that Charlotte\'s "scene" is pretty much pushing up daisies, and has been for a while.  On the other hand, though, I would definitely hesitate to say the scene in other areas of NC is any better.  Within the past two months, we\'ve played a show in Raleigh, a show in Columbia, and two shows in Charlotte, one headlining Tremont, and the one in Columbia, SC, had the best turnout, by far.  The same has always been true when we played Fayetteville, and Augusta, GA, the kids down there were there to enjoy the music, and didn\'t give a fuck who was playing as long as it was metal.  They didn\'t stand there with their arms crossed and talk shit about the bands if they were "too metalcore" or "too black metal", or "not black metal enough"...

As for Black Ritual "running things" and booking everything in Charlotte...no one told us that was the case.  We\'ve known those guys for years, and played numerous shows with the band, and they\'re good at what they do, but in all honesty, we\'ve never had to go through them to get a show booked at any venue in Charlotte.  We\'ve always just contacted the venues themselves or been offered a show by whatever bands were on the bill already.  There are a lot of good bands in the Charlotte area, just look at Mysteriarch, Pandah, and even though they\'re from SC, Merzah are a great band, as well.  Hardly Nickelback material, but, just because they\'re not playing shows every single weekend with the same bands they played with last weekend, at the same venue, doesn\'t disqualify them from being just as relevant as a band that might.  Since I have raped this thread quite long enough, I will be on my way, but, as I stated in my first post on this topic, to the man moving to this area, again, I wish you good luck.  Maybe that\'s what this area needs is some new blood, and fresh faces.  It couldn\'t hurt.

NowhereMan

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/thirdatlas
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 05:49:41 PM »
Viva la Venus is doing a video shoot at Charlotte\'s Underground on 2/27/10. I\'ve never played there but it is supposed to be the "metal club" in town. I\'m sure you guys will see the video once it wins a Grammy and all that stuff, and you can see for yourself if the place is cool or not.

http://www.vivalavenus.com
http://www.myspace.com/charlottesunderground

cmurder

• equal opportunity hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 06:17:04 PM »
I wont go to any show in the Queen city ever again...

BlackWatch

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/blackwatch
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 07:56:51 PM »
Charlotte v. Raleigh... Round 2

FIGHT!

No seriously, and in all respect to what Chargrilled said, I much prefer the scene in Raleigh over Charlotte, and the reason is not necessarily turnout. Its more about variety. I think Raleigh has a better mix of bands. You can see just about any type of metal on any given weekend, and I think that is fantastic.

The down side of the saturation can, of course, be low turn out. But we all know who draws in the Raleigh area and who does not. Generally, the cream will rise to the top.... and not just while fucking.

And to be fair, I grew up around Raleigh and to this day am much more integrated into the scene there. However, since moving to Charlotte I have found very little I wanted to integrate with. Most of what I have seen on the show calendars (outside national/international acts) is death metal, some kind of "core", emo/screamo, and the Nickleback shit. There is little to no, power metal, straight heavy metal, hard rock, etc. If I am missing something and someone knows what I don\'t, please tell me, \'cause I would love to go to a couple shows without having to fit them into a trip to Raleigh. I am definately not a kid that will listen to anything as long as it is metal. I have my preferences, and fuck anyone who thinks that isn\'t supporting the "scene".

To sum it all up, Charlotte is probably better for the larger National/International touring acts (think arena type), but Raleigh kicks ass for local band variety and is about the same as Charlotte when it comes to smaller national/international touring bands. I sat Blind Guardian at Tremont here a few years back (before I moved here) and the turn out was a bit disappointing. I think they could have packed out a Raleigh venue.
A deuce for the corner of your warehouse....

Yocum

• More cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 08:20:52 PM »
Raleigh metal has always been the most sinister.
You\'re not wrong Walter, you\'re just an asshole.

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 09:32:27 PM »
I was not saying every band down there was a Nickelback sounding band. But I know what I see from show listings and from the times I go down there.
As for bigger packages going there well Volume 11 seems to be pulling in a lot and bring people from down there up. I find it interesting that when I go to see all these "pagan bands" it never seems to be many Raleigh people at these gigs. Instead everyone is from the western and south western areas of the state.
I do agree though that shows can be hit or miss. And this idea of local promoters sucks. I don\'t think any band needs a so called promoter in their on town, maybe even their state. These people (mentioning no names) seem to always be a waste of time and often get in the band\'s way.

Yocum

• More cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 10:51:24 PM »
Quote from: Heaven and Hell Records;103778
These people (mentioning no names) seem to always be a waste of time and often get in the band\'s way.

and the money

the fucking money

RAAAAAAGGE

Chargrilled Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 11:17:10 PM »
Quote from: Heaven and Hell Records;103778
I was not saying every band down there was a Nickelback sounding band. But I know what I see from show listings and from the times I go down there.
As for bigger packages going there well Volume 11 seems to be pulling in a lot and bring people from down there up. I find it interesting that when I go to see all these "pagan bands" it never seems to be many Raleigh people at these gigs. Instead everyone is from the western and south western areas of the state.
I do agree though that shows can be hit or miss. And this idea of local promoters sucks. I don\'t think any band needs a so called promoter in their on town, maybe even their state. These people (mentioning no names) seem to always be a waste of time and often get in the band\'s way.

You know, I couldn\'t agree more with what you\'re saying about promoters in general, regardless of the city.  I was never trying to actually place Charlotte on any type of pedestal, and quite the opposite, actually.  My band is from Salisbury, and in reference to what Blackwatch has said, again, i couldn\'t agree more.  That\'s something that our band has consistently faced, no matter what bands we\'re booked with, is, since we are pretty much the definition of "straight up" metal, we are often the odd ones out on pretty much every show.  We recently headlined the metal fest at Volume 11, and just about every other band there was very grindcore or brutal death metal influenced, and although we do have some elements of both in our music, we also are extremely melodic, and therefore are usually not "brutal" enough for a good reception at those shows, but conversely, since we have nothing that could even be misconstrued as a breakdown, we\'re not "scene" enough for the metal core or emo crowd (thankfully).  All I\'m saying is we\'ve collectively been in numerous bands over the past decade or so and have played all over the eastern seaboard, and with the "scene" being what it is, not just in Charlotte, but in this general area, have decided that driving two hours to a venue, going on at 1 in the morning, and collecting 30.00 for the show, if you\'re lucky, is not the best thing for our band, financially, logically, or with regards to general morale.  If that is what works for a different band, and they enjoy the show aspect of things, then great, but the common consensus is that Charlotte\'s scene or lack thereof has something to do with the bands present in that area.  I disagree.  I would argue that it has more to do with the area itself.  As I stated in the previous post, when we play in Augusta, GA, the kids go apeshit.  They don\'t stand there with their arms crossed and talk shit about the bands while they\'re playing, which is kind of funny, anyway, when you consider that you\'re paying to see the show, so who is the schlep?  There just seems to be an air of pretentiousness in the Charlotte area in general right now, and although this is not limited to that city by any means, and poor turnouts have ocurred anywhere, for great bands, it\'s kind of disheartening, when one has been around long enough to remember packed out shows from just a few years ago.  Anyway, it\'s not about whether or not Raleigh\'s bands are better or more evil or anything like that, at least not to me, as we have another show at Volume 11 on March 13th, and I look forward to it, but, it\'s about a sense of loss over something that is missing from what used to be a great "regional" scene.  Oh well.  If you do want to check us out, go to http://www.myspace.com/avisiongrotesque   Hopefully there will be a good turnout in March up there.

Yocum

• More cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 12:17:30 AM »
You\'re in A Vision Grotesque?
Sup with Jeremy? He used to post here...

I got proof I liked your band four years ago!

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 11:37:48 AM »
Quote from: Yocum;103779
and the money

the fucking money

RAAAAAAGGE

Well I did not say it. HAHA