Author Topic: How is the Metal scene in and around Charlotte  (Read 11444 times)

How is the Metal scene in and around Charlotte
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 11:55:58 AM »
I am quite familar with your band. Talked with probably all of you guys at times over the years.
I don\'t believe I compared bands between the two cities as far as who is better or worse or anything like that. I do hope that was not your understanding or what you were suggesting. Not do I think a "scene" realize totally or for the most part on the bands. It is usually a combine effort. If all the only issue I have ever noticed with bands is that most metal scenes are made up of people who are in bands. Band guy does not go to show unless that guy\'s band is playing. So in a "scene" that is mostly made up of these people if they do not go to the show then no crowd.
Now the first response would be every guy in a band to say that is not true I go to shows all the time. Well once a month just doesn\'t cut it. Now this could be due to several reasons why people don\'t get out to the show. I\'m sure it is not solely based on "well my band\'s not playing so fuck it". But honestly this is what happens.
Don\'t get me started on the issue that most bands do a piss poor job of promoting themselves too. Goddamn if they can\'t do it in their own area how do they think they well make it out?
Ah it is a waste of fucking time anyway and I have a business to run here.
I tried to do something with and for the NC "scene" but there did not seem to be any interest so I moved on. I love NC\'s bands and such but for some reason there has also seemed to be something lacking or holding things back. A shame really.

Chargrilled Dave

• A Singular Consciousness.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/avisiongrotesque
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 01:41:16 PM »
You\'re right, it really is a shame.  It\'s something that has progressively gotten worse, but, I guess every scene will have it\'s ups and downs, just like metal on a grander scale.  What can you do?  So many things are fucked in this country and the world in general right now, it almost seems trivial to complain about turnout at a local metal show(s).  Maybe we all just need to start loving one another more.  The power of love is a curious thing, like Huey Lewis states in the epic "The Power of Love".  I\'m going to start a Love Metal band...maybe....

Oh, and Jeremy is a huge fucking dork, and has been to rehab three times for his World Of Warcraft addiction, which probably explains his extended absence here, among other places. I\'ve been telling him he needs to get back on here occasionally and say hello.  I\'ll remind his goofy ass again tomorrow at practice.
Jive turkey motherfucker.

JeremyAVG

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 05:56:47 PM »
I think what my esteemed colleague Chargrilled Dave was trying to say is that I was too busy being awesome.  But in response to this post, Charlotte has no scene what so ever.  The only people that come to shows anymore are personal friends of band members.  There is no "main" band in the area at all, you either have to be friends with whoever books the shows at the venues or get asked by a band who is already on a show.  No people come just to see local live music anymore.  

I noticed the downward decline of turnout to shows started a few years ago when high speed internet became widely available and affordable.  Youtube and all the file sharing programs have contributed alot to this.  It used to be if you wanted to see a band, you\'d have to actually go to a show or buy a concert vhs or dvd.  Now if you want to see any live footage of a band, it only takes a few seconds to pull it up online or download it to your computer.  Everyone is just over saturated and desensitized

Chargrilled Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 06:27:10 PM »
You mean when Al Gore invented the internet?  That would make sense, I mean his wife tried to do away with metal in the eighties.....Hmmm.  Dork.

Yocum

• More cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 06:29:00 PM »
Glad you\'re well and that you guys still ahve a band.

What happened to the chick singer? Wasn\'t there a chick singer?

I thought about you guys a few mos ago when I broke out some old metal.

I got stuck on some Death Angel and Art of Dying went in the player first.
You\'re not wrong Walter, you\'re just an asshole.

Chargrilled Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 09:33:23 PM »
There was a female guitarist, Tina, who used to be in Mimic and I think even Mortufairy a long time ago, who played with the band before I joined in 2007, but, I could definitely see how you could have made that mistake, because Joe could pass for a very ugly chick.  Very ugly.  Ugly and smelly.

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010, 11:48:43 PM »
the internet angle has been mentioned before.
Last year I went with Hellrazor to a gig in TN. Of course it was promoted poorly surprise, surprise. After the show the club owner comes up to me and says that I should not think to much about the bad turn out because the show was streaming online and people would be at home watching it. It was good for "getting the bands out there" he said. Well my reply was where is there admission that will buy our Taco Bell and go into the van\'s gas tank? He said I missed the point that this streaming thing was helping to promote the band. My reply was well we could have played a set in a basement then and didn\'t need to travel to TN.
The internet has fucked up so much. People don\'t buy albums because they can download now. People don\'t go out because their entertainment is on the internet. And people do not have to socialize face to face because they can sit at home and do this.
So now that I have reminded myself of how bothered I am with the internet I\'m going to watch the new Hulk animated movie.
later,

PS. What happened to that Tina chick?

JeremyAVG

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 07:08:47 AM »
Her and her husband got better jobs down in Wilmington and they moved down there a few years ago.  I hear from her every once in awhile.

Back when i lived in Greenville, (1999-2003) there were several places to play downtown and there was almost always a metal show every weekend.  The turnout was always great and bands actually made a little money.  Then the clubs started to get bought out and were turned into dance clubs (Even though there were already TONS in that same area).  Raleigh has always been a pretty good place to play, back then and even now.  BTW has everyone heard that Jester\'s is gone now?

No Funeral

• Drink The Chicken\'s Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 07:26:49 AM »
I miss Ziggy\'s (and the right turn at Wendy\'s to park there, every drunk fucking time).
No Funeral = No Shame

roosterbread

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/stairwellnc
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 07:40:55 AM »
Quote from: JeremyAVG;103802
Her and her husband got better jobs down in Wilmington and they moved down there a few years ago.  I hear from her every once in awhile.

Back when i lived in Greenville, (1999-2003) there were several places to play downtown and there was almost always a metal show every weekend.  The turnout was always great and bands actually made a little money.  Then the clubs started to get bought out and were turned into dance clubs (Even though there were already TONS in that same area).  Raleigh has always been a pretty good place to play, back then and even now.  BTW has everyone heard that Jester\'s is gone now?

Yeah, we\'ve had 3 venues bite the dust here recently. Don\'t see it gettin\' better anytime soon.

JeremyAVG

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 11:36:29 AM »
Quote from: roosterbread;103804
Yeah, we\'ve had 3 venues bite the dust here recently. Don\'t see it gettin\' better anytime soon.

Greenville or Fayetteville? Oh and thanks for caring Yocum

Madrigal

• Is a WAMPUS CAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 11:51:33 AM »
Quote from: JeremyAVG;103805
Greenville or Fayetteville? Oh and thanks for caring Yocum

Well, look who came back.
Do not take me for some conjurer of cheap tricks!

JeremyAVG

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 11:55:41 AM »
Quote from: Madrigal;103806
Well, look who came back.

Yeah, i know, its been awhile to say the least

Madrigal

• Is a WAMPUS CAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 01:39:41 PM »
Sooo, still like guns?
Do not take me for some conjurer of cheap tricks!

JeremyAVG

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 03:55:31 PM »
Of course, and i\'d suggest stockpiling now because ammo is starting to be hard to get for certain things.