Author Topic: How is the Metal scene in and around Charlotte  (Read 11764 times)

BlackWatch

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/blackwatch
How is the Metal scene in and around Charlotte
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2010, 06:37:48 PM »
Quote from: roosterbread;103804
Yeah, we\'ve had 3 venues bite the dust here recently. Don\'t see it gettin\' better anytime soon.

Think it has to do with so many soldiers still deployed?
A deuce for the corner of your warehouse....

Yocum

• More cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2010, 08:06:51 PM »
Quote from: BlackWatch;103820
Think it has to do with so many soldiers still deployed?

That theory may work, but you\'d think the liberated females going out would mean higher local male turnout. heh

Both of those taken into consideration kind of give way to what some of these boys are saying...

Personally, I think there are a few good bands everybody wants to see and the rest are buddies\' bands that you want to be there to hang out with, but can\'t make every show or just have other shit going on.

The amount of responsibility one takes on these days plays in, too. Fuck, I\'m basically on-call worldwide at any moment. I\'ve had similar responsibility for over ten years in different markets.

I hate going to shows to see stuff I don\'t want to see but I hate missing friends\' shows and missing out on meeting new people.

There\'s been some great ideas tossed around out there as to why these phenomenon are occurring, but I chalk it up to everybody just being tired.

Kudos to you hard-working harder-rocking folk.

It doesn\'t matter that the metal scene is a bit weaker or less people are going.

It matters that people still go.
You\'re not wrong Walter, you\'re just an asshole.

roosterbread

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/stairwellnc
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2010, 01:25:17 PM »
Quote from: JeremyAVG;103805
Greenville or Fayetteville? Oh and thanks for caring Yocum

Greenville. Dr. Unks, lucky\'s and what used to be corrigans shut down just before Christmas. Has to do with city ordinances after a fatal shooting downtown last summer. Downtown gville turned into a sort of hunting ground for thugs the past few years. I\'ll really miss unks as it was very band friendly, spacious, and you got multi-angle videos of your band after every show. Hopefully somebody will open it back up soon.

Dreamscapes

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2010, 01:52:26 PM »
Quote from: Yocum;103821

There\'s been some great ideas tossed around out there as to why these phenomenon are occurring, but I chalk it up to everybody just being tired.

Bands suck, nowadays.

BlackWatch

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2010, 07:34:37 PM »
Quote from: Yocum;103821
That theory may work, but you\'d think the liberated females going out would mean higher local male turnout. heh

It wasn\'t a theory, but a question. I don\'t know shit about what\'s going on in Fayetteville. When I pose a theory (or truth) it will definately not be in question form.... You know me better than that by now :)

Personally, I think there are a few good bands everybody wants to see and the rest are buddies\' bands that you want to be there to hang out with, but can\'t make every show or just have other shit going on.

Shit, I can\'t even make every show I want to see. For example, tonight (Paul DiAnno and friends). A show I really want to see, with some buddies playing in it, and I can\'t go. Like with you, career gets in the way of fun. But without the job, then I wouldn\'t be going \'cause I couldn\'t afford the door. Catch fuck\'n 22.

I do agree with the "home entertainment" theory. I barely go to movies either. Seeing Avatar was the first movie I had seen in the threatre (British Homo) in years. And I only went because.... well.... YOU HAVE TO. That was some of the coolest shit ever. And these days, I gotta admit, I only go see bands that I want to because, well.... I HAVE TO! Some things are just that good. Others, are not.

Now that every kid, his brother, sister, cousin, second cousin first removed and ex-girl friend has been to Sam Ash or GC to get an instrument, there are just too many bands. I remember 20 years ago when I got my first guitar, Music Connection was a HUGE music store. And you bought guitars like cars... all about the haggle.

With instruments more accessable and therefore more bands forming, there is just a glut on the scene. (see no question, Yocum) While on one hand it is awesome that there are shows all the time (just look at the V11 calendar), it also means that less people go out than when there is only one good show a weekend, with the only few good bands in town, and bad bands really didn\'t get shows. Ya, know, like back in the original Snookers days. But maybe, that\'s just me remembering being 15 and Eldritch Horror wasn\'t that awesome. Naw, who am I kidding, I still got their demo in my collection and its classic! Hell, if I dig hard enough, I may even find my Debauchery and T.H.E.M. demos. And apparently Gross Reality has made a recent come back, though I missed it.

Ahhh, back in the day!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 07:38:30 PM by BlackWatch »

Yocum

• More cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2010, 08:32:02 PM »
This is why we can\'t have nice things.

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2010, 02:17:31 AM »
Quote from: No Funeral;103803
I miss Ziggy\'s (and the right turn at Wendy\'s to park there, every drunk fucking time).

I saw some cool stuff at Ziggy; D.R.I., Exodus, Fudge Tunnel, I have probably forgotten more than I remember. But the last few years of that place it just seemed to becoming to much of a hippie jam band thing. And all of that Blackbird crap. But there were certainly fond memories. I think the D.R.I. will always top them all
But hey Raleigh\'s Lincoln seems to be picking up where Ziggys left off.

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 02:28:25 AM »
Interesting suggesting there is too many bands. I have often said there needs to be new blood.

STUPID KLOWN

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2010, 12:46:52 PM »
we went all over Charlotte the other day postering and flyering for the ROCK AND ROLL CARNIVAL show.......
and you know what I noticed??? Nobody does flyers anymore.......
We were expecting to be have to fight for bulletin board and wall space but almost everywhere we went, the board and walls were bare........

I have to laugh everytime I hear someone say...."yeah man, it should be packed tonight....I sent out a myspace bulletin and did a facebook invite.......
haha.......good lord are people really that stupid?

newsflash.....YOU STILL NEED TO DO THE FOOTWORK AND PROMOTE the good old fashioned way.....it\'s easy to get your buddies and people who come to the clubs every weekend to come.....the trick is getting the other 95% to show up.......and I know this might be hard to believe.......but that other 95% don\'t necessarily live on the internet........you have to connect with them in a human way......not by making them your freaking myspace friend.

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2010, 03:13:07 PM »
it is a new generation of bands that don\'t know how things need to be done. And there are those who forgot how to do things.
What these dumbasses don\'t realize is that the person who reads about their show online is usually going to be seating at home on their ass on show night looking at MySpace. At least you know the guy who see the flier in the record store goes out in public.
MySpace and Facebooks are more an outlet for one\'s narcissism than it is a social network or a place to promote. Not saying that these avenue should not be utilized just saying that should not be depended on.
I have had this argument with several so called promoters. It is interesting how the internet has given everyone a cause and a title. But staying on topic, these "promoter" that just shoot out bulletins are not real promoters. One would think they would start to get a clue when their turn outs are not so good...The same with bands.
Every time I get an invite through MySpace I always click yes I will be there. No I\'m never there. I think of it as a listen to these bands.

BlackWatch

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2010, 05:01:13 PM »
Quote from: Heaven and Hell Records;103945
it is a new generation of bands that don\'t know how things need to be done. And there are those who forgot how to do things.
What these dumbasses don\'t realize is that the person who reads about their show online is usually going to be seating at home on their ass on show night looking at MySpace.

I think you underestimate technology and this new generation. I am not saying flyers are useless or anything, quite the contrary, esp college campus and surrounding.

But keep in mind, with ever smaller web capable devices, people are not just sitting on their ass, and maybe not even at home when online. Just look at any given kid (and most adults) these days. They are constantly jacked into something. They would have to look up to even notice a flyer, or maybe step on it after it has fallen from the board with age. We should flyer the floors.

Yocum

• More cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2010, 05:36:22 PM »
Quote from: BlackWatch;103958
I think you underestimate technology and this new generation. I am not saying flyers are useless or anything, quite the contrary, esp college campus and surrounding.

But keep in mind, with ever smaller web capable devices, people are not just sitting on their ass, and maybe not even at home when online. Just look at any given kid (and most adults) these days. They are constantly jacked into something. They would have to look up to even notice a flyer, or maybe step on it after it has fallen from the board with age. We should flyer the floors.

Iphone app that displays local music events by genre set in your preferences.

There\'s yer million dollar idea.

Buy me a cheeseburger.

ANDY MILLER

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2010, 05:36:39 PM »
KIFF has always had good luck in Charlotte. Punk & metal , Not really part of any scene or anything. We do have a ton of friends there. Mostly older punks and metalheads. If we did not have these friends I doubt it would have been all that good. About like anywhere really.

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2010, 10:13:07 PM »
Quote from: BlackWatch;103958

well then even going by what you just said technology would still be causing a problem by keeping people from "looking up" to see the flyer.
Hell man go to a show these days and there is more people standing playing with their gadget than there are watching the show anyway, and that is not many people at that.
No I don\'t underestimate technology at all.

STUPID KLOWN

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2010, 07:04:54 PM »
nothing can ever or will ever take the place of a well designed poster or flyer passed out and plastered all over a town......
you can invite, text, and make cyber friends all you want.........
if you\'re not willing or able to do the necessary footwork......you will never do anything other than cry about why people don\'t come to your shows........

even a shitty band can bring in people with promotion that goes beyond facebook and myspace.........

you might not get them to come back after they see you suck........but for one night you can be the shit.