Author Topic: Keyboard advice  (Read 2359 times)

No Funeral

• Drink The Chicken\'s Blood
    • View Profile
Keyboard advice
« on: February 16, 2010, 08:24:56 AM »
I sing lead vocals now and cant stand the idea of uselessly posturing around the stage while my band plays their extended instrumental sections.  I\'d like to play some simple ambient backing keys but only have a shitty Radio Shack slab.

I dont know fuck all about keyboards.  Im not Ronnie so I don\'t need a Korg Triton, but I\'d like to have something with all the mellotron sounds, some sharper spacier shit or something I can load sounds into with ease.  

Anyone got some knowledge?
No Funeral = No Shame

CHarris

• View Profile
Keyboard advice
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 10:24:13 AM »
Quote from: No Funeral;104085
I sing lead vocals now and cant stand the idea of uselessly posturing around the stage while my band plays their extended instrumental sections.  I\'d like to play some simple ambient backing keys but only have a shitty Radio Shack slab.

I dont know fuck all about keyboards.  Im not Ronnie so I don\'t need a Korg Triton, but I\'d like to have something with all the mellotron sounds, some sharper spacier shit or something I can load sounds into with ease.  

Anyone got some knowledge?

Just act like a madman, those instrumental sections are for your crowd interactions.
Established 1983

No Funeral

• View Profile
Keyboard advice
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 02:15:22 PM »
Im nervous about what exactly Im going to do during those sections.  Maybe drugs will tell me.

Im not sure about props or chugging beer.  Im not planning on leapfrogging or capering about like ozzy.  And I dont trust the people of the south to catch me if take an 8 foot dive off the speakers like Billy Milano (immortalized on Live @ Budokan, all 300 or so lbs of him).

Ive often toyed with setting up some kind of percussion rack, a bunch of toms or something like the PM5K guy with his, well, everything.  In those situations I hadnt imagined myself playing the type of heavy metal I am now (indeed "heavy metal" is pretty far from what Id like to be doing).  The band has had most of a year without a vocalist and put together some really densely packed material.  Wherever we go from here, I know our practice space isnt big enough for any of my percussion-fort hildyfaw.  But there are parts of the songs Id like to put some keys in.  Im thinking along the lines of Tommy from BTBAM and his liberal use (until recently at least) of that small keyboard on stage.

I\'d kill a homeless person to have a full fledged keyboardist to play with.  More than a guitarist or bassist, Id love to have someone with a key/synth skills as my deepest musical tastes are more grandiose than the straight up rock/metal Ive played.  Since no one wants to the Dr. Teeth to my Electric Mayhem, I need to become Rowlf (the Dog).  Not saying Rowlf isn\'t the equal of Dr Teefus, but I like The Muppets (pre-1990)
No Funeral = No Shame

CHarris

• View Profile
Keyboard advice
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 02:21:04 PM »
Quote from: No Funeral;104095
Im thinking along the lines of Tommy from BTBAM and his liberal use (until recently at least) of that small keyboard on stage.

Well, the "special edition" of Misdirect has a DVD with gear walkthroughs for all of the dudes, so I\'m sure you can get what you need from there.

Ben wanted to play a keyboard onstage with us during the early years, and actually did play one live at our first show. Imagine if that had stuck around, haha.

I think you\'ll find yourself feeling pretty natural just being able to rock out without having to concentrate on playing, but who knows.

I definitely plan on seeing you guys with Deceased/Burn The Blood in May, so you better be on top of your shit by then!
Established 1983

No Funeral

• View Profile
Keyboard advice
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
im not talking about Tommy\'s keyboard specifically, more that he is a front man who occasionally plays keyboards.

Is the only way to get Mellotron sounds to get a mellotron or can I find a keyboard and get add on sound cards or cartridges like Ferris Bueller (or its modern equivalent)?  I know they make new mellotrons but can i find a digital keyboard with those sounds in it or the capacity to patch and play them?
No Funeral = No Shame

No Funeral

• View Profile
Keyboard advice
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 04:54:18 PM »
Yeah, and no pressure on the Deceased gig...
No Funeral = No Shame

Chargrilled Dave

• A Singular Consciousness.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/avisiongrotesque
Keyboard advice
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 10:00:48 PM »
One of those little smaller Korgs would work nice for what you\'re wanting, I think.  I can\'t remember the actual model name, but it\'s the one with the external mic on it for vocoder stuff, which is an added bonus, in my opinion.  Plus I see them on Craigslist all the time for less than 300.00.  We were actually thinking along the exact same lines as what you\'re talking about doing recently, and actually found a young dude on craigslist that played symphonic metal and had a kick ass Korg Karma, but, no amp to play through, and no transportation. Oh well.  Keyboardists are ridiculously hard to find that aren\'t all about playing beach music or that will play metal in general.
Jive turkey motherfucker.

No Funeral

• View Profile
Keyboard advice
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 08:52:17 AM »
For my ideal project Im trying to find someone who will do some old Genesis style keys, something jazz or classical.  

For what im trying to do, holding chords and simple melody lines is enough for now.  I looked at some a those Korgs online.  not bad for not much.  Id snap one up if i knew it had Mellotron samples or could easily be installed with such.  Again i dont know fuck all about electronicals.
No Funeral = No Shame

Yocum

• More cats
    • View Profile
Keyboard advice
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 02:31:19 PM »
Quote from: No Funeral;104120
For my ideal project Im trying to find someone who will do some old Genesis style keys, something jazz or classical.  

For what im trying to do, holding chords and simple melody lines is enough for now.  I looked at some a those Korgs online.  not bad for not much.  Id snap one up if i knew it had Mellotron samples or could easily be installed with such.  Again i dont know fuck all about electronicals.

You have a laptop? You could always run your midi keys through reason or something tht has banks of effects. Mellotron oughtta be an option.
You\'re not wrong Walter, you\'re just an asshole.

No Funeral

• View Profile
Keyboard advice
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 05:34:54 PM »
It took me until last year to get my first desktop.  Id ideally like a standalone keyboard.
No Funeral = No Shame

CHarris

• View Profile
Keyboard advice
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 03:06:56 PM »
Quote from: No Funeral;104163
It took me until last year to get my first desktop.  Id ideally like a standalone keyboard.

Most of the keyboards nowadays are like buying a damn computer, screens and buttons and whatnots and doodads.
Established 1983

BlackWatch

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/blackwatch
Keyboard advice
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 05:47:03 PM »
It actually gives me physical pain to have to tell you to just Google it.

I did, and as I was typing mellotron, Google went ahead and popped up a topic for Mellotron samples.

In general Google knows more than all of us here combined.
A deuce for the corner of your warehouse....

CHarris

• View Profile
Keyboard advice
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 07:31:44 PM »
Quote from: BlackWatch;104253
In general Google knows more than all of us here combined.

I google everything
Established 1983

Bobby Byford

• View Profile
Keyboard advice
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 06:04:22 PM »
I had a korg x50 was great for synth sounds before it got stolen, It didn\'t have a single decent piano tone though.

By far the best thing today IMO is to get a decent laptop, a cheap midi to USB(without midi to USB you\'ll need an interface to) controller and some top of the line VSTi\'s. works great